Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Patisserie Valerie

Hello my fellow bloggers! I have finally arrived in Canterbury, England and have finally overcome jetlag! What is the best medicine for jetlag you ask? Well, isn't it obvious - COFFEE! After spending a few days getting settled on campus, it was time to take on the adorable town of Canterbury. A few of us decided to make the 2 mile trek into the small city to scope out some coffee. Although there are a bunch of cute coffee shops to choose from, we needed to find one with enough seating for the 7 of us (believe it or not, it was actually pretty difficult) and needed to find a place with really good breakfast food (which can also be tricky. *Warning*: English bacon is NOT the same thing as American bacon).

About half way down the main street of Canterbury, we came across Patisserie Valerie and decided to go in after seeing all of the delicious treats in the window.  I ordered a chocolate croissant and a caffe latte. Since this is a coffee blog, I will mention the that the caffe latte was 2.40 pounds. Even with the current exchange rate, it was not too shabby! An interesting thing to point out is that flavoring is not that common here. I usually get a vanilla or caramel latte at home but they don't always offer in the coffee shops here across the pond.

As far as the atmosphere and the deliciousness of the pastry and coffee, words cannot explain! Patisserie Valerie is absolutely adorable with all of its treats on display in the window and the cutely decorated restaurant. The chocolate croissant was, of course, the best I have ever had. The caffe latte was not as good as my vanilla latte from home, but it certainly gets the job done! : ) 

3 comments:

  1. I was so excited to see you posted when I checked my google reader today!

    English breakfast is definitely different than American breakfast, they have some strange meats and warm tomatoes? Thats about all I remember. Oh and mushrooms are a common component as well.

    And watch out, you might start appreciating the coffee without the flavored syrups, I know I did. But that true appreciation might not come until you have your first cappuccino in Italy :)

    Also, I just added a travel page to my blog, and I found a cool way to put a google map with the places I have been. It might be fun for you too!

    You can check it out here -> http://creatingtheequation.blogspot.com/p/travel.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much for checking it out : ) and yes! the english breakfast is sooo different! Have you heard of black jelly? Apparently it is some sort of animal blood that is a traditional side to English breakfast. Not sure I'll be trying that soon. hahaha.

    And you are so right about appreciated coffee without flavoring! But that is for my next post...hahaha. I'm a little behind because we get back from our 2 mile walk from Canterbury and we're just so happy we survived the trek that we just eat and talk for the rest of the night! hahaha.

    I'm sooo excited for some italian coffee : ) I hope youre still putting together a to do list for me when im there!! I will definitely check out the map thing...after dinner of course though : ) time to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allison I'm so excited to read your blog posts, haha! It's making me crave coffee baaaaad! And all I have are lame Tim Hortons (I'm visiting my parents). You suck! I'm jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete