Thursday, March 3, 2011

Heidi's Swiss Patisserie & Rich's Rich Instant Coffee (Portsmouth, England)

Helllooo my fellow coffee drinkers! I am sorry for the little "blogging break" I went on for the last 3 weeks. In that time, I finished some papers, took care of some other important issues and went to Portsmouth, England and Barcelona, Spain - so you know I have some awesome coffee adventures to share with you! Today's post will focus on the coffee that was consumed in Portsmouth, England. Did you know that this town played a very instrumental role in D-Day? This town houses the Port that sent almost all of the Allies' ships to the beaches of Normandy! If you are ever in the area, I suggest checking out Portsmouth's D-Day Museum.

Back to the issue at hand - Coffee. You all are in for a treat today because I have TWO places to blog about! First, Sam and I spotted Heidi's Swiss Patisserie and decided to stop in and try their hazelnut latte (yes, I said hazelnut!). As I have mentioned before, finding coffee that has added flavoring has been a challenge but has certainly taught me to enjoy the taste of expresso and milk. Our drink was 2 pounds and 20 pence because we got it as "take away". However, if we were to drink it there, it would have been 2 pounds and 30 pence. When ordering coffee abroad, or even in some places at home, be sure to check to if there is a price difference between "take away" (to-go) and dining in. The hazelnut latte, similar to the caramel latte I had at Costa, was so sweet that I wasn't tempted to put brown sugar in it! Sam and I (scientifically) concluded that flavored syrup must roughly have 4 packets of sugar in it because whenever I get flavored coffee, it is sweet enough so I don't have to add sugar. So, in mathematical terms...4SP(sugar packets) = 1 or 2FS(flavor shot) therefore, 1FS x hazelnut + Cafe Latte = 1 yummy Hazelnut Latte at Heidi's Swiss Patisserie :)

The second coffee experience was certainly that...an experience! Our lovely new friend, Rich, heard that Sam and I have never really tried (had more than one sip) instant coffee so he decided to change that. We were then shown a jar of Rich's rich instant coffee and compared it to dirt because that is exactly what it looked like! However, he insisted that we try it so we did and guess what folks!? It wasn't half...bad but it certainly wasn't half good either. *WARNING* The first three sips taste like ham. Rich disagreed, but it really does taste like ham! This experience taught me three things...(1) If it is between instant coffee and no coffee - choose the instant coffee. (2) If it is between instant coffee and french press or coffee pot coffee - well, you know what to choose! (3) If you are craving ham, make some instant coffee :)

Ps. To all those who love instant coffee, I know it is really not that bad. I'm just trying to Rich a tough time! :) Thank you again for letting us stay with you guys and sharing your instant coffee with us! We really had a great time! :)


Portsmouth, England - Look at the sun! :)
Heidi's Swiss Patisserie
The Guinea Pigs of Rich's Experiment 

dun, Dun, DUN!

"O no! Its tastes like ham!"
Rich's Rich Instant Coffee - he proudly defends his
coffee of choice and denies that it tastes like ham
(even though it does)   :)

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your entrance into the blog, Rich!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok firstly, Portsmouth is a city not a town. Secondly I agree with you that instant coffee isnt as good as real fresh pressed or properly made coffee, but thirdly and most importantly that coffee did not taste remotely like ham, perhaps you had some ham left in your mouth from a sandwich you ate earlier. lol Anyway thank you so much for the entrance to your blog and picture, I will be remembered and criticised for all time now. lol. Btw that instant coffee is fair trade, cheap and could make over 100 cups so for value for money and helping people its the way to go if your a student. Glad you had fun and enjoyed Barcelona, hope your next adventure is just as fun. Take care you three and talk to you soon. x

    ReplyDelete